Our Mission is simply to love and encourage families. We do this primarily by providing free weekend retreats and hosting community outreach events for families who have children with intellectual or developmental disabilities.
Our Vision is to create more compassionate communities through families serving families with the love of Christ and led by the Holy Spirit to further the Kingdom of God.
Our Core Values:
We will honor and glorify God with our service.
Our actions will be above reproach.
We will do all things in love.
We will be wise stewards of God’s provisions.
We will strive for excellence.
We will bathe our mission in prayer.
Our foundation is God’s word.
Barren Heights seeks and welcomes families who have a child or children with disabilities.
We host free family enrichment retreats and community events focused on faith, fun, friends and usually some yummy food. Events are scheduled for families and our smaller community groups – Women, Men, Marriage, and Siblings.
Family Weekend Retreats are scheduled from June-October, Specialty Retreats are hosted in the winter and spring. Barren Heights Community activities are year round.
Barren Heights Retreat is nestled atop the gentle rolling hills of Allen County Kentucky, near Barren River Lake. Barren Heights Community Center is centrally located in the Bluegrass Industrial Park, Louisville, Kentucky.
Comments from our Guest Families
- “This retreat helped our family get centered.”
- “There are so few places we can go as a family with a child in a wheelchair.”
- “This is the best place I’ve ever gone on vacation.”
- “I’m ready to face what lies ahead.”
- “Thank you, we will definitely spread the word.”
- “I think God spends His weekends at Barren Heights.”
- “We would like to come back as a volunteer family.”
- “We never agree on anything and yet we all agree that Barren Heights is awesome.”
- “This was just what we needed.”